Saturday 10 September 2011

The dying art of conversation between males and females ...

Pic sourced from: thisisgreatsex.com

This isn't a subject I wanted to tackle with fiction because although I could have given a damn good run at it, I'd constantly be writing in the first person. As objective as I think I can be, I still have my own views on the subject and tend to have a lot to say sometimes. My friend Sophia asked me to write on the topic some time ago, but through circumstance I'm only getting to it now!

Before you ask what the hell I'm talking about – what I'm talking about is us, you and me, and virtually every other heterosexual person on the planet, and what's got me shooting words on the page is the question; whether or not, as males and females are we engaging in conversation?

I could wrap this up with a very simple yes we are! But in order to continue talking I have to give a little context to what I'm trying to get across.
When I say conversation, I don't mean two people talking about a topic of no value with the lingering thought in both their minds as to when is the person going to shut up and just snog me? No. I'm here to explore the notion that some of our so called conversations are based around a fundamental need to ingratiate ourselves to the opposite sex in order to facilitate fallacio or some other pleasurable sexual act.
But hold on – is Stefan really saying that the only reason men and women converse is to screw each other’s brains out? Not entirely. I'd wager that most people in a relationship really do have genuine platonic chats/rants/discussions with like-minded or otherwise people of the opposite sex, I'm even saying that single people find it relatively easy to natter about some really interesting and stimulating stuff without ulterior intentions, but ... if you're sitting there across from someone you think is hot or would like to see in less clothing then there are things you're going to do during that conversation which you wouldn't do with say; Sally with the incredible amount of facial hair for a woman and a wart on the end of her nose.
Firstly, if you're crushing on someone during a conversation you'll feel less comfortable talking about any personal quirks that others in your inner circle of friends finds odd, or you won't divulge too much personal information period. If you find your yapping away and keep fixing clothing, straightening that tie, checking your hair or stroking your clavicle, then they are all signs that you might just wanna fuck the person you're talking to, or failing that, you're a little nervous because you're out of town and your mate Jerry who knows you back when you had braces and evil breath just walked into the bar and waved at you, or, you just have a tendency to touch yourself ... (you're worried, I'm worried, we're all worried).
I believe that conversation isn't dead and if you're passionate about a subject then there's no harm in discussing it. I also believe that we all have thoughts about different people, sexual or otherwise and that's fine as long as those thoughts stay in your head unless invited out for dinner and a good movie ... (yes SEX - please try to keep up!).
Usually the best friend a man can have is a woman and in lots of cases vice versa. In my experience men tend to stab you in the back at a moment’s notice, whereas a woman would consider your feelings first for the most part.
I don't have that many guys I can turn to in a crisis and I'm cool with that, but if you think I'm wrong or way off its okay I'm just speaking from personal experience. Feel free to colour me stupid and ignore everything I just wrote.

2 comments:

  1. Bonus points for using "snog"! It's a neglected word in my part of the world but makes me giggle because I think like a 12 year old boy sometimes.
    As someone that has had to date, a lot, in the last few years, I can say with certainty that what you propose here is true and happens frequently. I always refer to it as keeping someone at arm's length, because I don't let someone in on anything remotely close to my inner dialogue for a very long time. Especially if I am attracted to them.
    I don't know if it's fear of opening up or fear of them not liking what they see, I really can't pin point it. I can tell you that most of my female/male time, other than my friendships, lacks any form of meaningful conversation. Interesting post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the word: 'snog' it makes kissing sound cute.

    Thanks for giving this a read m'dear!

    ReplyDelete