Tuesday 26 April 2011

Multi-tasking and writers frustration ...

Pic from: alexmandossian.com
 
Seeing as I totally ‘slayed’ a report today and have a bit of time to either get started on the 'Annual Work Plan' or write a blog, I decided to do both. "How?!" I hear you say. Easy - I'll multitask. Yes, I'm a MAN that can multitask. For any ladies reading this (and I'm about to tell a secret as old as time itself so listen close) men CAN multitask, we just act as though we can't, which makes you think we can't, thus we are only asked to do one thing at a time, all the while we're multitasking in secret for our own benefit. 

Yeah, shocked?! I know ...

If you look back at that paragraph above it's five lines long, has 104 words, 415 characters (no spaces), 519 characters (with spaces). How do I know all of that? Because while you were reading it I had written two paragraphs for the AWP proofread it and made cups of tea for everyone in the office.

I'll wait a few seconds whilst you read that again and catch up.

Are you back yet? Cool!

See pic below for an example of how happy people are after drinking tea:

 
I know a few men read that opening paragraph and got a bit upset, I'm sorry, but sometimes I just can't take it when women walk around complaining that men are useless when they are only reacting to a ploy we created before the use of underwear. If you think about it, that makes us seem incredibly enigmatic and foolish all at the same time. *sigh* MEN!

I've been chatting back and forth on Twitter today with Jan (she's cool, follow her @jananisays), we're both struggling to find the time to write for the Indie Ink Challenge, both having a slight case of 'writers frustration' (not writers block which is something totally different) both getting emails from other challengers saying they've written their pieces and posted them already! I think one person got their in within 18 hours of their writing prompt being issued.

Well, a cliché springs to mind: The best things come to those who wait. Please note I say that with tons of humility.

Anyway, I wish my fellow Indie Inker (that's Jan for any ladies finding it hard to multi-think right now) all the best and I can't wait to read her offering!

Cue Jimmy:



3 comments:

  1. No need to feel rushed. Take your time and do it right. And, by the way, I'm a woman who is a terrible multi-tasker. Shhh...don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! You are so sneaky and suave! lol

    I feel like I should be bursting with righteous indignation on behalf of all womankind, but I am just laughing too hard. I am forwarding this post to my husband because he claims he can't chop vegetables and watch the pot of soup at the same time. Now I know it's all a part of the super secret plan.

    Thanks for the plug and kind words. I feel like I should now try to be all hip and cool on my twitter :)

    And we will finish our challenges soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maren, the fact that people are writing superbly and quickly is good. It'll push me to write better and more frequently. I retain license to growl at people every so often though.
    PS: Your secret is safe, er kind of. ;-)

    LOL, Jan, I was definitely treading a thin line there.

    ReplyDelete