Thursday 21 April 2011

Fiction: Bad Dreams



"Thought I'd knock a short one out really quickly.
"This is a dream I had a few weeks ago that had me waking up checking to make sure I was okay."

It hit me square in the face. I wasn't sure what at the time; until the tears in my eyes cleared and I was able to look out and collect images again.

There was an unusual feeling in my mouth that at first I couldn't make sense of. I left the game and ran into the toilet, my hands cupping my face as the blood started to run down my chin.
My foot connected with the door sending it open with a smack. It nearly hit me on the way back. I ran to the mirror and paused before removing my hands.

What I saw confirmed one of my worst fears, the one that was really high on the list. My teeth were shattered top and bottom. There wasn't much left and shockingly, I wasn't in any pain at all. I felt like I was going to cry. I tried to close my mouth and that's when it happened.
The rest of the broken bits of teeth that were left popped right out of my face and following them, the top part of my gum.

Confused and still in no pain, my brain searched reality for reasons why this was happening, why I wasn't curled up on the floor moaning and groaning, tormented.
Into my hand the gum went. Looking at it distracted me briefly, then a weird sensation took over. I looked up to see my face collapsing inward as though there were no bones in my skull.

OH NO! 

What the hell was going on? When teeth fall out, gums don't follow, and why would my face cave in, was this really happening? This is bad right? There's no coming back from this is there?

Before it all disappeared I pulled at the skin where my lips used to be and found an opening, pushed my broken gum into the space, hopefully the right way, and tried to pack out my features by pulling at skin with my hands and manoeuvring the gum with my tongue.

I was beginning to look like me again, I think.

2 comments:

  1. i've have the losing teeth dream several times. from what i remember, it can mean you're worried about how others perceive you, or you're worried about things getting out of control.

    i mean, according to my basic internet research that's what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may be something to what you're research found out. Maybe ;-)
    I'm yet to check for myself (possibly the fear of knowing). Thanks for sharing. Are your dreams ever as bad as the one above?

    ReplyDelete