Monday 21 March 2011

My brother was a fighter, a real one!

I haven't blogged in a hot minute, not because I didn't want to but because I struggled to find the time in light of current events.
I don't think I've ever mentioned I have brothers on here, but I do. I have two, and they are a couple of characters. In our own way I know we all have each other’s backs even though we don't always openly say so. I'm the youngest of the three of us and naturally the tallest. The eldest is bossy and the middle brother is the smallest but the toughest. The fact that he died on Monday 14th March (2011) might raise a few questions as to how tough he was but as far as I'm concerned he was the strongest individual I'd ever met.
Uchenna Damian Jeffrey contracted Systemic Lupus Erythematosus when he was 11 years old. It wreaked havoc with his blood, messed with his immune system, destroyed kidney funtion, damaged skin and hair on numerous occasions, and I haven't even touched the surface of what he really endured. Watching this happen over the years made me wonder how anyone could take that and carry on as though there was hope. Uchenna did just that, right up to the end when it took multi organ failure to finally step in and take him from us. But that's just my point. Multi organ failure - not one specific organ or reason, it took several of his vital organs to shut that little soldier down in the end and if he'd been stronger that Monday, he'd still be here.
I think my brother chose to let go, I don't for one second believe that he gave up or wanted to die. I just think he needed to be somewhere else. This world, this existence, just wasn't up to his standards.


No comments:

Post a Comment