Friday 18 February 2011

Ballad of the Black Gold

Listening to a Talib Kweli track the other day and a line in the song struck a chord.

"Have you ever seen happy hungry people that ain't rational?"

The line made me stop and really think, not the usual erratic thought processes that I usual have, but focused thought. There's a growing trend of 'action before thought' and it causes so much unnecessary outcomes, yet as a species we're too caught up racing ahead crashing into each other.
None of us are perfect either. I'd like to believe that I'm in the picture I'm painting and no different from anyone that I'm referring to. Not even I can prove that I'm not prone to ignorant thoughts every now and then.

There isn't a massive market for the kind of hip hop Kweli puts out, or the lyrics Mos Def laces on tracks; only to be ignored because the majority would much rather aspire to wearing gold and platinum.

I don't hate the times we live in, but they could be a lot better.





No comments:

Post a Comment