Thursday 13 January 2011

January 31st sucks!

Remember I said it, but if you really do have a suckie-day on the 31st I take absolutely no responsibility for anything that happens to you.
The reason for that outburst was down to the fact that I promised to set up and create my blog by no later than the date above. You guessed it ... I couldn't wait!

When I came up with the un-original idea to start a blog it wasn't because there was a desire to actually have one but because a friend directed me to hers and inspired by her writing I decided to give this a go. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND YOU'RE TO BLAME FOR ALL OF THIS!
 
I wanted to kick-off my first blogpost with something amazing, inspiring, even good would be good enough. As I sat on the bus writing this, the heat of the engine under my butt was making me warm, thus tired, thus less prone to sparks of creativity that would alert the incredible talent within that keeps asking for directions to my fingers.
You'll have to put up with the thoughts inspired by the rumble of the 321 bus, the back of someone's head and the realisation that I didn't put enough money on my Oyster card.
So where did my mind go? Surprisingly it went to my hospital appointment the day before:
 
Pre-hernia surgery ...
  

If that title confuses anybody it means I haven't had it yet.

I was reluctant to mention that someone would be cutting into me and patching me up but I feel like it's worth telling.
Admittedly I'm not worried or scared I just want to have it done ASAP so I can go back to playing basketball and coaching the way I prefer.
For anyone reading this who has had a hernia you know the kind of pain I'm in especially if yours was in the groin area. People talk tons of smack about Lewisham Hospital but they do have a lot of good folks there, students included.  

My check-up - what an experience!
Scheduled in for a 9.10am appointment I wasn't seen until 9.50am, not a major concern with a BlackBerry full of apps to keep me occupied. I wasn't seen by the consultant surgeon initially, instead two students lead me to a small room and enquired about my medical history, the pain I was experiencing and how active and physical I am. It kinda felt like they were running interference for the senior consultant who was obviously running late seeing patients, Lewisham is a learning hospital so I let that slide.

When the big man on campus finally came in he let the students deliver all the information I divulged not totally in the order I said it and I resisted the urge to provide verbal cue cards.

It wasn't long before I was half naked with three other people, one of the students was a girl, take note from this point on she avoided eye contact. In turns they felt the affected areas while I was in vertical and horizontal positions.

Being students it was necessary for the teacher to let them mirror what he was doing. It was at that point that a wave of pain hit me.
Lying there exposed with regular pressure on your groin isn't pleasant especially when the senior consultant tells the students that 'the patient has a second hernia'.

"HEY THAT'S ME YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!"

I didn't say it but it felt like I did.

Up and dressed the consultant explained that I have not one but two hernias which would explain the irregular pains in my stomach. But, he went on to highlight that during surgery he'll be making sure there aren't any other occurrences just in case.
He was a good guy with a calming bedside manner so I signed the surgical consent forms had a bit of a laugh with the students, shook hands and said goodbye.

The walk home was painful but it took my mind off the rain. I kept thinking: 'How the hell did I put so much pressure on my insides so as to cause so much damage? And at that moment I had the weirdest flashback of the last 12 months and couldn't help but let out a sheepish: "Oops!"

No comments:

Post a Comment