Friday 5 August 2011

I haven't been this angry erm, ever!

The back of the flyer being used to promote this event.


I'm relatively happy at the moment, I've racked my brain for a reason why this might not be the case but I came up with nothing so the smile on my face is staying. I’m feeling all
mushy gushy right now.
Why do good things come to an end? I got dangerously pissed off two nights ago between the times of 9pm and 12am. It started with a phone call ...

A good friend of mine along with several other ambitious 'club promoters' decided to have an event to launch their company. Granted that two of the guys knew my brother when he was alive, proposed that it be a charity event donating a portion of the money for research into the illness that took my brother.

Ok, if you can; rewind all of what I just said, because, this is actually how it all started:

A flyer was posted via Facebook and I was tagged to it. With no idea that it was a 'night in memory of Uchenna Jeffrey ...’ (my brother) Yes it actually says that on the back of the flyer. The front of the flyer is all I could see on FB. It wasn't until two weeks later I got a hard copy and realised this was in memory of ... Wow! I had no idea (if you didn't notice, the flyer is the picture above this post). My first thought was, why wasn't I consulted? After the initial shock and seeing familiar names on the promotions list I thought hey, that's nice of 'em. First chance I got I would promote this event further, so I did.

The phone call in question was to tell me I shouldn't have done that! Ok confusedandnotimpressed.com - the way I saw it, this was a party (which was my brothers last wish) for Uchenna and to help a good cause? Yeah - so what's the problem?
It seems the other guys who I don't know wanted to promote the night themselves so it's marketed under their company name not via my profile.

Moment of silence please to appreciate what I just wrote ... yes read the last sentence above, again.

By now I'm a little ticked off. I'm looking at this from the perspective that it doesn't matter who broadcasts the message so long as it's out there.
My friend comes over and explains in more detail than he did over the phone and let slip that even though it's a charity event it's not a memorial type 'do' for Uchenna and more of a rave.

HUH?! That's exactly what the dude wanted!
At this stage I'm seething. I can see everyone's point-of-view but don't use my brother’s name and memory to kick off your brand if you had no intention of honouring the memory in the first place.
I can't speak for the guys I know in this equation, but for the guys I don't know, WTF?!

After cancelling the invite I created for this event I spent the rest of the night trying to come to terms with the fact that I didn't feel comfortable attending a night in memory of my brother. How nuts is that?

I'm confident I'm the only member of my family that has any knowledge of the foolishness that's happening right now.

I’ve had a bit of time (48hrs) to think all of this over and every fibre in me is saying stay the fuck away!
I can’t go can I? (Totally rhetorical question) If I’m there I’ll be expected to say a few words on the mic and the only words I can conjure right now are:

“This night is in memory of Uchenna Jeffrey, but in reality it isn’t. The people behind-the-scenes didn’t even consult with our family as to whether they could use his name and promptly put it on a flyer that was distributed across London without our knowledge. If you know me you know I’m a completely rational kinda person but it feels supremely irrational and uncomfortable being here, and the only reason why I am here is to tell you that this entire night has been put together under what appears to be a pretence.
“To this day I haven’t sat down with the promoters. No apology was given, and none of the flyers have been amended to at least convey the folly made here.
“That said, you all look wonderful, I hope you all have an amazing night and treat this event however you see fit. I’ll be applying as much distance from it as possible as soon as I put down this microphone – thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment