Sunday 29 May 2011

Proud to be a little bit reluctant



It's been a hot minute since a non-fiction blogpost has graced Kreative Anythingz (I'm well aware that I just referred to my site as an entity). My diary has become home to my thoughts/feelings, rantings and stuff that makes my world go round, and blogging about it as well; felt a tad repetitive. [Disclaimer]

Every so often the thoughts feelings, rantings spill out and end up here. What's eating Gilbert Grape today eh?
"The importance people put on things that hold little or no value in the grander scheme of things." That's what!

Let me begin: A lot has happened over the last two months, so much randomness that some people would have booked a one way to ticket to, Nowhere, just to get a little perspective - I'm yet to receive my boarding pass. I am usually quite frequent with social networking, status updates etc ... but recently I just haven't felt like saying what's on my mind - it's on my mind, so maybe it should stay there sometimes - you know? Shake things up a little, hey?!

My lack of exposure has been noted and several people have contacted me asking if I'm okay, I haven't been on FB, BBM, Twitter, yada yada. My answer is, “... yes I’m cool,” but what I really want to say is: "My existence isn't determined by the amount of keystrokes I make within the world-wide-web." Most of these people have my number but the ability to pick up the phone has become increasingly difficult over the last seven years, apparently. I'm pretty sure I have no idea what certain friends sound like anymore and the blame isn't one sided either, I'm at fault to, but for different reasons - I just don't want to call/text period. Colour me unsociable but I find short breaks from social media (which I'll refer to as 'SM' from now on) and people in general, therapeutic and thus helps me to focus on important things, or completing tasks without my phone beeping/vibrating 24/7.

A friend said to me several months ago: "Wow, you really use all the functions on your BlackBerry." She said this because I utilise the calendar, notepad, task manager; I have several emails split evenly between 'work' and 'personal', I know all the useful shortcuts and write most of my fiction on the move if I have time during the day. The settings I use are basic factory stuff plus a minor display tweak which still looks like the old factory setting but I can tell the difference (this is a pimp-your-phone-free-zone and I love it).

I probably sound really boring but that's me. I'm the guy that buys a pair of shoes, likes them, and buys the exact same pair a few weeks later. What's the point in getting something different when what you already have is really comfortable as well as functional? I may lose brownie points for saying that but who cares? I don't.

I think the only pang of guilt I’m experiencing right now is that I use Facebook to know when certain birthdays are and since I haven’t logged in for several days I’m pretty sure I’ve missed a few. Failing that, I’m absolutely certain everyone is saying the same things they were saying the last time I was on it. I really should log in and catch up with ... nah – scratch that, maybe another day.

I hopeful that people will read this and think I'm talking/referring in some way to them. My only piece of advice is: Not everything is about you.


No comments:

Post a Comment