Wednesday 23 March 2011

The Nine Night

I'm blogging about something that hasn't happened yet - an idea that I got several hours ago on the phone to a really good friend.
The title 'Nine Night' is a traditional Caribbean function that happens nine nights after the death of a loved one. I'm not going to sit here and blog that other cultures or people in other parts of the world do not do this, but I mostly hear about Nine Nights from West Indian people. As circumstance has it my family is having one for my brother tonight. Ok, so I said I was going to blog about something that hasn't happened, only, there is a stipulation that I should talk about the thing in question as though it has already happened, and my friend who may read this was right, some things you just can't talk about until you get there, but you kinda have an idea of the outcome before you reach. Ahh, to be wise and young eh?

Me and my mum (I've accepted 'me and' sentences now, after much inner turmoil and battles with my resident pedant so I'll be saying it more often - I'm a grammar nazi at heart but I can still be flexible when I need to), so ... me and mum decided to have a joint Nine Night, one at the Hither Green flat and the other at my mum’s house. Naturally younger folk will head to the flat and the golden crew will be at my mums. My parents are secret lemonade drinkers so the alcoho-pops will be consumed in SE13.

I think I covered all the bases in regards to food/drink/accessories, I just have to get a picture of my brother blown up and framed, place it in his room and light some candles at 6pm.
In light of everything, so many people have rallied behind us and it's fantastic how much support we've received - overwhelming amounts of love for the family, so I shouldn't complain about my phone blowing up constantly should I? Nah - people care and they're only doing what they feel is right.




No comments:

Post a Comment