Tuesday 8 February 2011

Oi! Don't make me get old skool!

I should let things go. I shouldn't let certain things bother me or cause me to act unprofessional when I'm at work, but today this woman took the absolute liberty.

I'm currently engaged in work with the Job Centre within the area I cover to get any dads they have coming in; to book onto to my new careers workshop. I wrote this fantastic proposal that got circulated in the borough and it's been funded, given a location and a healthy time slot, all based on my planning (yep, patting myself on the shoulder and feeding myself candy bars right now).
Anyhoo ... I'm at the Job Centre today meeting with my contact so I ask for her at the front desk. I'm polite as warm apple pie with ice cream, and a really sombre, possibly jaded, worker takes my verbal request and acts as though I was rude. Her colleague has nothing but smiles for me, reciprocating my attitude, but this other woman is the picture of grumpiness personified. She woman walks away barely looking at me. I'm not sure whether to follow, and both myself and her colleague exchange a confused look. It's at that point that, without turning around she commands I follow and puts a hand up giving me a supercilious gesture to come along. I SWEAR AS GOD IS MY WITNESS I nearly took two hard strides and fly kicked this fucking woman in the base of her back. I would have smiled if I heard a snap.
Her colleague and I at this point share a very different look, and seeing that I was about to go old skool, she smiled apologetically, I grappled with the mountain ape begging to beat the shit out of this obviously crazy person walking away and placed the beast reluctantly back in its cage. I had important work to do, bigger than a disagreement with a repugnant individual so I held it down.
I wasn't in her presence for very long but I wished I could have let her know in some small way that she was playing with her life ... literally.

Once I met with the floor manager and was introduced to all the staff as well as the outreach team, I approached all of the men waiting to be seen by careers advisors. Luckily for me most of them were fathers and I got to promote my project to a wide spectrum of dads.

I think it was the second time today I had to play dumb, act like I was oblivious to bullshit. Sometimes in order to get my foot in the door I have to let certain people think their holding the keys to the gates.

If I had a different upbringing though, it would have been open season on a couple of people today!

No comments:

Post a Comment