Sunday 16 January 2011

Getting high on negativity




We fall into habits sometimes don't we? Not all of them are good for us and usually they're referred to in a negative sense.

Making a habit out of reading isn't negative, is it?

Making a habit out of learning something new each day has to be a good thing, right?

Taking drugs and getting high - I can understand the 'getting high' part, but the taking drugs to get there is the element that bothers me. Why is it even necessary to do that?
If people spent more time making sure someone else was happy then that would provide enough of a high, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure that soaring around on the euphoria of knowing you put a smile on someone’s face has to be a better high than a drug induced one ... Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't taken hard drugs to actually know what that type of high feels like but surely it's a positive thing in not doing it.

Not everyone's built selflessly, and I'm sure I don't fit into that category, so wouldn't it be a cooler world if people took the time to ensure everyone else’s day was a little better? Cynics would argue the world was emotionally off balance wouldn't they? Without some form of negativity things would become negative by default. The universe would implode and spill out of a donkey’s ear or something.

Or, we'd just be happier ...

2 comments:

  1. I think we try to find a higher high, because our lows get so low!! Talking on a general observation level, as I too have never taken drugs or smoked.
    Although making people, including ourselves happy, gives us a high and a buzz its never enough!! i think we will always be looking for more! Miki H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miki, it's crazy really. Making people happy should be enough, and doing it without hurting ourselves in the process should be the goal too. I hear you though.

    ReplyDelete